Well, I’m back. I had intended to retire this blog all together, change my email address and simplify my online life. You know, a clean break. I really have not spent much time on the computer at all, because I have been living my life. My word for 2013 was MORE (I wrote about it here, one of the two – yes two, blog posts of 2013).
I was going to experience MORE spending time with friends, getting outside and enjoying the fresh air, Yoga, travel, walking the dog, hugs and kisses, game nights, girls nights, card playing, schooling, reading, random acts of kindness, exploring and living. Well I wasn’t perfect but I did A LOT of all of the above.
2013 brought a lot of fun. I am still dating B and we have a blast together. Here are some highlights with LOTS of links.
- Went with my mom down to Long Beach, WA for a long weekend. My sister and her family joined us later. We saw a snowy owl and played lots of Cribbage and Scotland Yard.
- Went to the Northwest Flower & Garden Show.
- B and I attended the Steampunk Exhibition Ball at Seattle’s new location for the Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI).
- Had a work party to help out around mom’s house.
- Toured both Lemay car museums (B had one of his cars in one).
- Watched B play Flaming Tetherball at the Hazard Factory.
- Finally took the Seattle Underground Tour and took my second (B’s first) ride on The Duck with a bunch of people from B’s car club. Had an AMAZING bloody Mary with Sriracha!
- Took B to the Cirque du Soliel show Amaluna.
- B and I played Smash Putt (21+ miniature golf – with lazers and other fun stuff)!
- Helped B’s friend clear out items from their family property. Cars and fabric and photos oh my!
- Went to Lewiston, ID to visit B’s grandparents. On the way back swung through my alma matter’s home town. Go Cougs!
- Went camping several times in B’s vanagon.
- Had a Stone Vertical Epic beer tasting – yes all twelve.
- Went to a few car shows. One of which I got very badly sunburned at. Finally went to the All British Field meet my birthday weekend.
- We spent part of the July 4th weekend at the Vintage Car Races where B got to drive his Ghia around the track and then went to a lake house shooting off water balloons from a giant slingshot in the yard and kayaking the lake.
- To finish off my birthday weekend we took a ferry to a friends parents property, watched Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark on a ginormous screen in their backyard, played extreme croquet (although there was no fire) and camped out.
- A friend turned a school bus in to a giant party bus and we took that for a spin for a picnic.
- Attended in costume the Midsummer Renaissance Faire where we saw the Cirque du Sewer, Cavallo Equestrian Arts and a “ribald and raunchy comedy” by the Les Bouffons des Battes.
- Had a BBQ at my sisters where B was introduced to the lawn game of Kubb and we played more Extreme Croquet.
- Became a mugger at Special Brews.
- Fostered a sweet kitty named Bella for three months until we could find her a forever home.
- B and I went rafting down the Yakima River with Beej. He had a little life jacket and did very well.
- Met my mom in Chelan for a winery overnight.
- Attended a craft night at a gal’s house I only knew from the blogworld.
- B and I attended the fifth annual Steamcon – of course in costume. I sucked my friend Megan in to all things Steamy, she’s hooked! While at Steamcon B and I learned how to rap Steamy style (Chap Hop) with Professor Elemental. I participated in a fencing demonstration presented by the fine folks at the Salle Saint – George fencing school on the gentlemanly way to defend yourself with a cane.
- B and I attended two Burlesque shows (Lost In Space & The Naughty Nutcracker).
- B and I participated in a Steampunk photo shoot (yes I wore a corset) at Gas Works Park.
- B and I Went to Wild Lights at the Woodland Park Zoo (we rode the Carousel).
- Made a few crafty items, sewed a few things and even knit something.
- Played a LOT of cribbage with B while drinking yummy craft beer.
- I did attend Yoga off and on. Managed to mess up both of my knees at two separate times and came down with that hacking cough crud twice.
- B is re-teaching me the card game Magic: The Gathering.
- Had a game night a few weeks ago and we played Cards Against Humanity. Got two people hooked on the game.
So, my year was pretty full and I enjoyed it immensely! What’s in store for 2014? Well, certainly more of the above. B and I have tentative plans to see Cavalia and would love to see the Burlesque Alice in Wonderland. More Smash Putt, Flaming Tetherball and Steampunk events, cross country skiing, kayaking, fencing classes, the Dead Baby Downhill and my mom and I are traveling to Greece in October.
It has been four months since my last post and A LOT lot has changed in that time. I am an active participant in the course my life is taking. To that end, I have decided to retire “Take Life With A Grain of Chocolate” and create an entirely new blog.
Although I have not fleshed out the exact content, some things have not changed about me like my love of Steampunk, repurposing, Indie film, simplicity and of course my dog. Some new changes ahead will also be featured and we will get in to those when the time is right.
My divorce is not finalized yet but will soon be completely in my past. The lessons my marriage and divorce are teaching me are currently being incorporated in to my new life. My blog is a positive place and meant to focus on what I enjoy and what I feel brings meaning to the world as I see it.
I met a wonderful man who I care deeply about and who embodies the true meaning of all that I hold dear. I feel so very lucky and we have the best times together. I was not looking for it but it found me and it’s darn good!
For now I am still in our condo, I will be getting a new (to me) car and I have custody of the dog. I am focusing on the important things in my life. I have scaled back and have spent much time reflecting on where I am headed. The journey is going to be full of new experiences and surprises for certain.
I made wonderful friends on this blogging journey and I have benefitted from the process of getting thoughts out of my head and down on “paper”. To those of you who have followed me I appreciate you and please join me on my new journey.
If my word for 2013 is MORE then my mantra is “Bloom Where You Are Planted”.
If I have learned anything over the past year I have learned the following.
- There is never a perfect time, “Just Do It”.
- Make certain to tell friends and family you love them every chance you get.
- Go after what you want. Period.
- Move forward, even if it’s half a step. It’s progress, there is no need to be perfect.
- Get out in nature every day.
- Play a game that DOES NOT involve your computer.
- Hugs, kisses, cuddles and laugher are NOT overrated!
- Be brave.
This year I am putting my focus on me. I have some pretty specific goals that involve friends, finances, travel, school, health and getting out in the real world (less computer time and more face to face friend time and getting out in nature) that I will be tracking. I’m not certain how “public” I want to be with these goals so for now I’m probably going to list ways in which I am incorporating MORE of them in to my life.
Today as far as MORE is concerned, I spent no money – not even at Starbucks on coffee, I went to Yoga, I drank prolly ten glasses of water, hung out briefly with a friend and I made a date with another friend for a healthy dinner next week.
I am ready to step in to 2013 with a fresh outlook. A year ago today I returned to my previous place of employment and that has been a blessing. But this year, has been a hard one with more loss and heartbreak than I would like to repeat any time soon or at all.
This year has also brought me not only great new friends and strengthening current relationships with others, it has brought me so much more clarity for my life and what I want out of it. I have a few things to finalize in the new year and it could take a bit of time but I no longer live in the past.
So for this year to come, there is but a single thought and goal to my life. I will do MORE.
More of everything that I love to do, more spending time with my excellent tribe of friends and family, more getting outside and enjoying the fresh air and nature, more Yoga, more travel, more walking my dog, more hugs, more kisses, more game nights, more girls nights, more sewing, more knitting, more Geocashing, more listening, more card playing, more schooling, more reading, more random acts of kindsness, more exploring, more LIVING!
Watch out world – you ain’t seen nothing yet!
I’m one of those people that can be happy with a meal of a good glass of wine (or beer), some yummy h’ordeuvres and good company/conversation. I value the friendships I have and the people in my life – some are new and some have been around the block a few times with me. This Thanksgiving is definitely little different.
- It’s my first in 11 years as a single person.
- It’s my first without my dad (I miss him terribly).
- It’s my first (in 12 years) without my family.
I am grateful to have excellent friends who have supported me throughout the last 7 months. It’s been a rough road and I have had MANY challenges. This holiday season has been OK so far, it’s hard without my dad and the traditions I have relied on (and sometimes complained about) for years.
This year I returned to my old place of employment, I have made some special new friends and I have let some friends go. I hope my friends and family know how much I care about and love them.
Someone who has become a good friend is Jess, I am going to her house for my Thanksgiving meal and I am contributing two yummy recipies for the feast.
First up is Carmelized Onion and Blue Cheese Bites and the second is Brie and Fig Jam Bites. Who can say no to puff pastry, gooey cheese, yummy rosemary, blue cheese and fig jam? Just add wine!
I’m not a big fan of New Years resolutions but I am so ready to rock 2013 I may just change my mind on that. I am ready for a new chapter in my life. I don’t need to dwell on the past any longer. It served it’s purpose as a lesson and I am moving full steam ahead!
Watch out world!